Speech and Debate

Sophie Bratton

Speech and debate is a competitive head to head all around fun sport. Similar to athletic sports, speech and debate activities are challenging, competitive in nature, and require regular practice, coaching, dedication, and hard work. Each event in speech and debate promotes a distinct form of public speaking and takes a unique skill set and talent. While students often develop a passion for specific events, many compete in multiple categories throughout the course of their academic careers.

The speech part requires a presentation by either one or two, or even sometimes a group of students. These students are judged against a comparable type of presentation by others in a round of competition. Speech requires extensive knowledge of current events to dramatic and humorous interpretation, which challenge students to find powerful moments in literature and recreate them for an audience.

The Debate part involves an individual or a team of debaters working to effectively convince a judge that their side of a resolution is, as a general principle, more valid. Students in debate come to thoroughly understand both sides of the resolution, having researched each extensively, and learn to think critically about every argument that could be made on each side.